Monday, June 17, 2013

Are we missing opportunities while we are glued to our phones, computers, and television? What happened to having a conversion in person? Are people so indirect now that we have to create an Facebook just to know who that Mr. or Mrs. Fabulous is? Does our constant want for things to be fast dictate how well it comes out? Must we always be entertained or enslaved by our shiny boxes or controlled by our sex drive? The thing America loves most is anything entertaining. Whats the entertaining thing? Sex. I know thats a lithe forward but, its true. The movies No Strings Attached and Friends with Benefits were made 6 months apart. Why? Well, because modern America loves to see screwed up people fall in love and find "happiness" myself included. (I quote both those movies all the time.) But how much money would that movie have made 170 years ago? I don't think the Evangelicals would have appreciated our humor. Friends with Benefits alone made 149,542, 245 dollars just in the box office. We have grown into an open and silly country that loves a good laugh. Society has shaped us to be the same way. For the first 5 months Fifty Shades of Grey author, E.L James was making one million dollars a week; and she only gets about 30% of the cut. So what does this say about America. I feel like it says we buy sex that will entertain the pants off of some. Literally. In the past most Americans had love, hope, and nature to keep them busy. Which probably meant they were bored a lot of the time, unless you drank until your heart was content and had a great deal of sex. I think that would get boring after a while and miss my country side and stare at the farms and cow poop that I hear so much about. 
Are you a reformer? Do you follow the crowd or make your own path? I hope one day I can have the courage to make my own way for my personal beliefs. Sometimes I make the excuse that world isn't ready for my crazy outbursts and protests, but I know thats just my fear of being judged and in result no one loving me anymore. Do I stand up for what I believe in? Mr. Geib everything that I used to believe was proven wrong. So now I don't know what to stand up for and I think thats how a lot of us feel. Emersons' poem says that we all have the same problems, and that we are all one. I wish this was the way it was. But all I see is the system. The system the works and beats down the kids until they are scared to do any worse than a 4.0, or their future holds a lifetime of begging. The system that makes you feel like trying to change the routine is wrong. The system that makes you feel unsafe. The system that makes you love thing and use people rather love people and use things. I think to myself, if I go against the system What will I have? I like my car, house, and clothes. I want those things in my life for as long as I live. The Early Americans would have gladly walked, found pleasure in making their own home and clothes, would read instead of television, talk in person, cooked every meal, and meaningful conversations. The reformers didn't think twice to protest what they thought was right; doing the right thing now is terrifying. They were more sufficient in that aspect than we are. If I were to ever have a conversation with any prehistoric figure I know that we would think, act, and talk differently; I would never know which way was better, each era is best and worst in their special areas. I prefer their direction and would love to hear the opinions they have of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment