Monday, June 17, 2013

Genetics or Free will?


Genetics or free will?
Free will acts as a hope deep in our hearts that conquers science. One cannot simply understand how much free will influences your life. Free will is having the ability to say yes or no. It's having the option to choose what you believe (as I am doing right now). I honestly didn't believe in free will until I just sat at my screen staring blankly at it trying to decide what I believe. But then it hit me, if I am having such a struggle trying to decide which path to take on this blog give me free will? I know that sounds pretty simple but it isn't always that simple and its us who make it seem harder than it actually is? Free will allows us to open our souls and think deeper than we are willing to go. The idea that we are controlled by genetics would make the human race completely based off of science as well. I want to believe that when I choose to happy it's not just because my parents are happy. I am happy because thats how I feel in that moment and it has nothing to do with their genes running through me.
My aunt and I are the same person. She has the same figure, same eyes, and face as me. Not only that but we also having the same thinking process. Both our parents got separated around the same age, we are both the older sibling etc. I used to want to be her too. She is beautiful, smart, and funny. Literally everything I wish I was. But then one day when I was 11 I went to a sports bar with her. I will spare you the gory details but that was the day my mom told that she had a drinking problem. I never knew but she had it ever since college. With my free will I promised myself I would never get that out of hand when it came to drinking.
Everyone knows that my mom and dad had me at a very young age and so has the rest of my family (if not now you do; 17 to be exact). Now I hope that free will is true because I don't want anything to do with babies until I'm at least 30. Since I am 17 right now shouldn't I be off finding my baby daddy? NO! I'm a put together young lady that doesn't want that. I have goals and dreams to lead a life that encourages me to find myself, take risks, and be solo. These are dreams and ideas that my family never had. My free will has guided me towards a life of smart choices and being sane for a little while longer.
“I wear the chain I forged in life....I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it.”
-Charles Dickens
I have worked really hard for many things in my life and I think everyone else has to. To say that they did it because their genetics inspired them to seek out such success is almost an insult. The people striving for better than their parents deserve that chance to be great, the chance to be who they were meant to be; not just following in their families foot steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment