Monday, June 17, 2013

Money does not eqaul happiness

In my childhood days when I would become greedy with my toys, my mom would ask me, "Would you rather be all alone with a lot of toys, or have someone to play with just fewer toys?" Being an only child at the time, I would usually answer with I wanted someone to play with even if that meant letting others play with my toys. With that said, I still want to interact with others even if that means I give up money in the process. Today for example my mom told me to go grocery shopping for the sleepover I'm going to host, but she gave me a budget, and I would feel guilty going over that budget. Most of my friends are coming back from playing a basketball game so I know they are going to be hungry but I didn't bother to get them a lot of food. I was almost angry when my friend told me she wanted lot of food because I didn't get that much. Now I have to decide weather or not I want the money or the friends; hands down I want my friends. But spending money for them is hard, but I still chose them. 
Nationally no one is happier than they were 50 years ago, yet we have so many more things than they ever did. I think once someones basic needs are met, money doesn't make anyone that much more happy. If someone makes 5,000 dollars to 50,000 dollars their happiness will sky rocket. But if another person goes from making 50,000 dollars to 500,000 dollars they will still be more happy than they used to be, just not by a substantial amount. Also I think people adapt to the level of what they have then always want more. Its just human nature for people to want more if their not happy with what they already have. Instead of thinking about what we don't have, I challenge America to think about what we do have.
Its has been proven if an individual has supportive/close family and friends they will be much more happy, so basically love. Currently we focus all our energy on money, image, and status. Even if some say they don't, its inevitable in our society not to think about it just a little. The three things we do need to be happy and fulfill ourselves is personal growth, relationships, and a community feeling. Does any of this have to do with money? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment